• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS Card- Copy requested-Can they do that???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BonnieMartin

I am writing on behalf of my father-in-law. He lives in a 55+ comminity in Central Florida. He has signed a contract with the park that assures them he will pay a monthly rent for his lot on which his mobile home resides. Recently, the park has been requesting that my father-in-law give them a copy of his Social Security card. Because of the present day crimes and ripoffs, he does not feel comfortable giving them this copy but has offered them his Social Security number, without actually copying it on a copier machine. Can he legally refuse to give them this copy or is he legally bound to doing so? It does not state in the contract that this is required. It is just a procedure that the park follows and we are unsure for what reason. Thank you for any information you can give me about this.
Sincerely,
Bonnie Martin

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BonnieMartin said:
I am writing on behalf of my father-in-law. He lives in a 55+ comminity in Central Florida. He has signed a contract with the park that assures them he will pay a monthly rent for his lot on which his mobile home resides. Recently, the park has been requesting that my father-in-law give them a copy of his Social Security card. Because of the present day crimes and ripoffs, he does not feel comfortable giving them this copy but has offered them his Social Security number, without actually copying it on a copier machine. Can he legally refuse to give them this copy or is he legally bound to doing so? It does not state in the contract that this is required. It is just a procedure that the park follows and we are unsure for what reason. Thank you for any information you can give me about this.
Sincerely,
Bonnie Martin
My response:

NEVER, NEVER give your SS number to anyone, except for taxing authorities. The Social Security Act of 1934 (as amended) clearly states that the number is not to be used for purposes of identification. No one has a right to ask for a SS number. That number identifies everything about a person - - the very essence of who a person is. With identity fraud running rampant in this country, the SS Act becomes even clearer.

DO NOT even orally tell someone your SS Number - - Banks, hospitals, car dealerships, etc. - - NO ONE !

They cannot legally require his SS number - - ESPECIALLY since it's not a part of the contract. They can yell, scream, kick, threaten, and everything else they want to do. The fact is, you NEVER give it out because you NEVER know who will be handling the file information in the trailer park tomorrow, and where his SS number will end up.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">