• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guy owes me money for surgery...help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allison072

What is the name of your state? Texas

I got pregnant by a guy at the end of August 2007 and i found out in September. I miscarried sometime in the middle of October and it required surgery. The guy who got me pregnant told me that he was going to pay half of the surgery since he was half the reason that i was in the situation in the first place.

Time went on and we still hung out and stuff but I never saw a penny and so far ive paid about $2,000 by myself and I still owe a little over $3,000 and i have gotten to the point where i am freaking out because i cant afford this.

I'm not really the kind of person to ask for money but recently we got in a huge fight and i asked when am i ever going to get that money and he wouldn't answer me.

I dont really know what to do or even where to start. Please help me someone...

xylene

Sadly, a BF's scummy behaviour is not actionable.

What is the name of your state? Texas

I got pregnant by a guy at the end of August 2007 and i found out in September. I miscarried sometime in the middle of October and it required surgery. The guy who got me pregnant told me that he was going to pay half of the surgery since he was half the reason that i was in the situation in the first place.

Time went on and we still hung out and stuff but I never saw a penny and so far ive paid about $2,000 by myself and I still owe a little over $3,000 and i have gotten to the point where i am freaking out because i cant afford this.

I'm not really the kind of person to ask for money but recently we got in a huge fight and i asked when am i ever going to get that money and he wouldn't answer me.

I dont really know what to do or even where to start. Please help me someone...
Some legal realities:

The guy who impregnated you is not liable for your medical expenses on account of impregnating you.

Now, the verbal promise to pay. It is going to be VERY hard to prove. If he had signed a promisary note, you would have somewhere to go, but right now his words amount to a non-consummated gift.

I am sorry about your miscarriage. Consider seeking counseling to help you with this trauma. Good luck.

Even though he is not liable on account of impregnating you, I would still take to him to small claims court. You do have a verbal contract with him and though he'd deny it in court, you may end up with a sympathetic judge. A decent judge can weed out whether there was a contract or not, and common sense says that he would offer something for the surgery for "his part". Take him to court regardless, you've got nothing to loose at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">