• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asbestosis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cebe

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I am a retired 35 year employee with a major airline. 1 year after retirement I was diagnosed with asbestosis. I have had 4 PFT's and each test shows loss of breathing ability and lung capacity loss. My attorney did not file the workers comp claim until a year after I filled out the paperwork with him so I fear I have missed the time statute on the WC. With the new law in effect that protects the employer if they have WC, it appears I cannot go after the company. I have found out that most of the asbestos companys have bankrupted, so I cannot get any help from them with my portion of the medical expenses. I am on a single fixed income, and fear that in three to five years I will be on oxygen full time. I hate that I will not be able to take part in my grandchildrens childhood - I will only be able to watch from the sidelines as they grow up. I am 56 years old; this has changed my life. What really hurts is that I was in management with the company and was able to retrieve archived memos after I was diagnosed that stated they knew the tiles that were being used was high in asbestos content, but it would be more cost effective to go ahead and use them - they are still there to my knowledge. It seems as if the new law is giving corporate america "carte blanc" in using any harmful chemical or unsafe practice they want, knowing they cannot be sued. To your knowledge, have I exhausted all options, or is there one that I may have missed other than WC, the employer and the asbestos companies?

You Are Guilty

There are half a dozen "big" asbestos plaintiffs' firms across the country - pick one you like and call them. I'm sure one will be interested in your case on a contingency. Just don't expect too much in the way of a settlement (or in a speedy resolution), asbestosis cases are at the bottom of the priority list (after lung cancers and mesotheliomas).

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">