• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling cars and land as personal representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hymera

Colorado.

What is the process like? I already have been appointed as personal representative and will make an appointment with a lawyer to cover some more detailed questions but I wanted to get started selling a couple cars (not worth all that much) right away. I have always had the same car so I'm not even familiar with the process of selling a car (I'm assuming you just sign the title and write mileage or something like that).

I also had some questions on a piece of real estate. Should I put it in the heirs names right away or should I sell under the decedent's name and just distribute the proceeds (probably a year or so down the road)? Are their tax or other benefits to one or the other?What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

Colorado.

What is the process like? I already have been appointed as personal representative and will make an appointment with a lawyer to cover some more detailed questions but I wanted to get started selling a couple cars (not worth all that much) right away. I have always had the same car so I'm not even familiar with the process of selling a car (I'm assuming you just sign the title and write mileage or something like that).

I also had some questions on a piece of real estate. Should I put it in the heirs names right away or should I sell under the decedent's name and just distribute the proceeds (probably a year or so down the road)? Are their tax or other benefits to one or the other?What is the name of your state?
Bookstores, like Barnes & Noble, have good books about probate. Go and buy one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">