• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wolf2008

What is the name of your state? KS

Hello, I have a question and I'm not sure what I can do about it. I recently purchased a car in November of 2007 and allowed them to run my credit to see if they could match or beat the interest rate I was preapproved for through another financial institution. I ended up financing the car through the dealership. About a week or so later I received a credit card in the mail from Dodge and thanking me for applying. I never signed up for this credit card and proceeded to have it cancelled and submitted a fraud report with them about this. I later found out from the dealership that Chrysler does this to people they approve for credit in buying a car. The dealership is aware of this program and did not inform me nor did any of the paperwork I signed. I allowed them to check my credit for the reason of getting an auto loan and not a credit card.

I was told that the dealership violated privacy laws related to credit and credit cards. I would like to sue them for this violation and was wondering if this suite has validity and if so how much should I ask for. Are there laws limiting the amount asked for regarding cases such as this? What would an appropriate amount be for this type of violation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ronin

You obviously have no understanding of the laws in your case and what it takes to sue for damages. Whoever gave you advice the dealership violated privacy laws also has no understanding of the law. You won't be able to milk even a dime from the dealership on this one.

Talk to a lawyer if you have any questions on this matter.

JudgmentPro

There are some companies that in order to issue you "credit" do so in the form of a credit card. A credit card is issued in your name with the credit limit set at the cost of the deal. The full amount of the deal is "charged" to the credit card and you make payments as if you were paying off the credit card. (rather than sending in a coupon payment etc) It's not illegal as you are applying for CREDIT. How they issue that credit is up to them. If this was a credit card with no ties to the deal, then I would say it couldn't hurt to speak with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">