• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how many judges does it take to screw in a...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shredex

What is the name of your state? arizona

recently, i got my butt kicked in justice court, by the big dogs that use a rule book that differs from that which our legislature and the supremes have deemed the rules of civil proceedure.
i was a pro per (D), in a breach of contract action. there were a couple dozen pre-trial pleadings involved, mostly comprised of: plaintiff's misrepresentations of the truth and my responses attempting to aprise the courts, lest they be construed as truth. the point here is that 1 judge had knowledge of the various exchanges, and a broad view of the playing field. on the morning of the trial as litigants awaited the justice's arrival, the justice of the peace entered without robe, and anounced that "something has come up, and an alternate would conduct the bench trial".
the alternate and i had a history of disagreement in previous landlord/tenant issues, where the justice refused to apply statute to the issues. upon this justice taking the bench, i motioned for continuance on the following: that there were intricasies of the case that he would not have specific knowledge of, and that i could not receive a fair hearing in absence of. denied. i advised that the (P) had not completed my interogatories and that i was still awaiting material evidence. denied. lastly, i contested that the last minute change of referee denied me my rights to a change of judge, as well as the opportunity to request a jury. denied, and denied.
in the preceding, the justice objected to almost every approach i made in defending the action, he objected to my establishing foundation in cross exam even though the expected testimony was included in my rule 26.1 disclosure. essentually he shut me down, ruling in favor of the (P).
notice of appeal was filed accordingly, but, wouldn't you know, no record available. at 90 minutes into the trial he had anounce to the litigants that the record was approaching a point that would require profesional transcript services if either party was to appeal, and asked if the parties wished to wind matters to a close. point here is that the record did previously exist. so as not to get too far off point, a 3rd justice presided over my request for waived fees and stay of judgement, following the generous granting of excessive attorney fees to opposing counsel. my question is:
is there a proceedural error here? judge #2 could not possibly have reviewed all of the pleadings, prior to hearing the case, (was obvious), judge #3 followed the ruling of #2 without regard for what may be legitimate fees and what was padded in post judgement affidavit, granting $7000 more than the attorney had requested from judge #1.
i feel like i just lost everything to a game of 3 card molly. please, any advise? thank you for consideration.

What is the name of your state? arizona.

shredex

appeal indeed

not to place words on my voice, i certainly do not think all judges are idiots. i do believe that these justices (pro tem) do not feel the same way about access to justice, as the higher courts, instead, equate the task as a burden.
it is my thinking that they are intolerant of pro per litigants, and harbor anomosity toward the awkward approach inherent in someone that lacks a law degree, yet wishes to present their case to the courts without plunking down a 3k retainer to do so.
in fact, the higher courts will relax the courtroom formalities, so that a layman may present his case. (District, Appellate, Supreme).
i could be wrong, as i often am...but i still believe justice exists within the realm of the judicial system.
setting that aside, does anyone know of a specific Code, Statute, Article, Subsection, ect. that would stipulate some time frame requirement in alerting litigants of last minute changes such as this, or even relevent citation/decision on the matter? anything to support the pleading? thank you for consideration.

Last edited:

slade69

Regarding Judge Changes in Arizona

Arizona Revised Statutes

Title 12 - Courts and Civil Proceedings

12-409. Change of judge; grounds; affidavit

A. If either party to a civil action in a superior court files an affidavit alleging any of the grounds specified in subsection B, the judge shall at once transfer the action to another division of the court if there is more than one division, or shall request a judge of the superior court of another county to preside at the trial of the action.

B. Grounds which may be alleged as provided in subsection A for change of judge are:

1. That the judge has been engaged as counsel in the action prior to appointment or election as judge.

2. That the judge is otherwise interested in the action.

3. That the judge is of kin or related to either party to the action.

4. That the judge is a material witness in the action.

5. That the party filing the affidavit has cause to believe and does believe that on account of the bias, prejudice, or interest of the judge he cannot obtain a fair and impartial trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">