• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister's kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweatslady

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello,

I guess I'll start by telling a little about my situation. My sister has 7 children. She does not have custody of any of them. Her twins live with their dad and the other 5 live with us (my husband and I). We have had them since February 5, 2004. She has a prescrition drug abuse problem. My husband and I have wanted to adopt them for over 3 years now. We just started the process a few months ago. I just got a call from my sister tonight telling me that she will sign the papers and consent to the adoption because it is best for the kids.

My question is this: What do we do now? We do have an attorney. We have legal guardianship of them right now. We were going to court to get consent to allow adoption added on to our guardianship. Do we still have to do that since she is willing to sign off her rights and allow us to adopt them? The fathers are not in the picture. They never have been. Their where abouts are unknown. I know we need to remove the rights of both parents. She is willing and since the fathers are not around we can publish to have their rights removed. I guess I am asking if her signing off will make this faster and easier? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes you need an attorney and you need to go to court regardless of whether or not she is consenting. Because both parents of the children need to have their rights terminated. Both also need to be notified/served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">