• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help w/ Probate Form DE-160 Inventory and Appraisal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calicode

What is the name of your state? CA~California

Thanks for your experienced help.

As executor, i completed the De-160 Inventory & Appraisal Form. I completed and appraised on Attachment 1 savings account information. The Probate Referee completed and appraised items on Attachment 2. Form was signed and i filed with court clerk.

As i was working on my Final Distribution i discovered something...
On the Probate Attorney's Attachment were some stocks listed. These were labeled as Community Property 50% undivided. It looked like this:

100 shares ABC stocks Appraised Value $500

(the value of shares were $10/share at time of death, so this value represented 50% of the shares).

My problem...
On Attachment 1, i listed a Savings Account (also community property). However, in the appraised value column i put the entire balance ($1000) of the account, rather than the 50% share($500). Was this incorrect? Will i need to submit a Corrected Inventory and Appraisal?

Both stock shares & savings account were in only the decedent's name. Both were acquired during marriage. Will bequeaths entire estate to child. Per CA community property laws 50% of these assets pass to spouse.

So, While dictating the Final Distribution paragraph, should i write like this:
50% of ABC stocks, 50 shares to be distributed to spouse per California community property laws, 50% of ABC stocks, 50 shares to be distributed to beneficiary as instructed by Will. 50% of Savings Account, $500, to be distributed to spouse per CA community property law, 50% of Savings Account, $500, to be distributed to beneficiary per instruction of will.

Thanks again for your assistance. I'm almost through this emotional and challenging process. I just want to make sure i submit it all correctly to the court!What is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">