• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally Binding Vow ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Potica

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently, a groom-to-be chose not to say "I do" at the altar, and consequently, the marriage was not consummated.

Perhaps the groom-to-be, being an attorney, smelled a rat. Here is where the groom-to-be balked:

The couple was on the altar in front of the pastor, and the pastor asked the groom-to-be, "Do you vow to put (bride-to-be's name) over all other persons in your life - your parents, your children?"

The groom-to-be would not answer, and shortly thereafter simply stated that he wasn't yet ready to commit to marriage.

Here's my question: In this scenario, had the groom-to-be answered "I do" or "yes" regarding his willingness to place the bride-to-be over all other persons in his life - including his parents and his children, should he have died, would his new bride be heiress to his estate? Or, would she have more leverage in court in the likely event that she and the groom-to-be entered into a prenuptial agreement?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Potica

Last edited:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
There's suddenly a large smattering of posts that seem like homework assignments. Did an entire class find this site all at once today??

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently, a groom-to-be chose not to say "I do" at the altar, and consequently, the marriage was not consummated.

Perhaps the groom-to-be, being an attorney, smelled a rat. Here is where the groom-to-be balked:

The couple was on the altar in front of the pastor, and the pastor asked the groom-to-be, "Do you vow to put (bride-to-be's name) over all other persons in your life - your parents, your children?"

The groom-to-be would not answer, and shortly thereafter simply stated that he wasn't yet ready to commit to marriage.

Here's my question: In this scenario, had the groom-to-be answered "I do" or "yes" regarding his willingness to place the bride-to-be over all other persons in his life - including his parents and his children, should he have died, would his new bride be heiress to his estate? Or, would she have more leverage in court in the likely event that she and the groom-to-be entered into a prenuptial agreement?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Potica
What class is this for?

ShyCat

Oh please. If wedding vows were "legally binding", that whole "till death do us part" thing would have put a major crimp in the divorce rate.

Potica

What class is this for?
I make no excuse for being an exceptionally articulate individual. I find it amusing that I write so well, that my "doubter respondents" accuse me of being a lazy law student. I am not a law student, and I have no intention of practicing law.

Thanks for giving me the chuckles of self-satisfaction. :D

I have posted on this forum exactly 3 times now in 2 1/2 years, and in every case, I come off as being too sharp to be real. Sorry. I seem to have it, and others don't.

See my other 2 posts:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=293148&highlight=Potica

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=292837&highlight=Potica

I truly am a humble individual, but I just feel like rubbing it in to my doubters.

Thanks.

Potica

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I make no excuse for being an exceptionally articulate individual. I find it amusing that I write so well, that my "doubter respondents" accuse me of being a lazy law student.
Well. I can only speak for myself but, no, that wasn't it. :rolleyes:

fairisfair

I make no excuse for being an exceptionally articulate individual. I find it amusing that I write so well, that my "doubter respondents" accuse me of being a lazy law student. I am not a law student, and I have no intention of practicing law.

Thanks for giving me the chuckles of self-satisfaction. :D

I have posted on this forum exactly 3 times now in 2 1/2 years, and in every case, I come off as being too sharp to be real. Sorry. I seem to have it, and others don't.

See my other 2 posts:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=293148&highlight=Potica

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=292837&highlight=Potica

I truly am a humble individual, but I just feel like rubbing it in to my doubters.

Thanks.

Potica

too sharp????? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and whatever you are rubbing in, please don't get any on me. :eek:

However, if you really want to confound us: try waiting say 15 or 20 years to come back. we will go insane wondering where you are.

divgradcurl

But the answer is simple -- the vows are entirely irrelevant to the distribution of the estate. If he died without a will, then the estate will be distributed via his state's intestacy statutes. If he died with a will, then the will controls. It doesn't matter even a little bit what he may or may not have promised on the altar.

Potica

But the answer is simple -- the vows are entirely irrelevant to the distribution of the estate. If he died without a will, then the estate will be distributed via his state's intestacy statutes. If he died with a will, then the will controls. It doesn't matter even a little bit what he may or may not have promised on the altar.
Thank you, thank you kindly. I've finally been granted a mature, straightforward answer to a simple query.

Potica

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">