• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Question (but real)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fivefootsix

What is the name of your state? New York

Scenario: My best friend passed away. She and her 20 year old son resided together and had a dog my friend purchased as a puppy from a breeder back in Sept 06. My friend had a will leaving everything to her only son, but dog was never specifically mentioned in the will. Who legally is entitled to the dog?

I ask this question because a family member comfiscated the dog and refuses to let my friends son have it, even though the dog was cared for by him since he and my friend first purchased it. What is the name of your state? NY

xylene

Many people mistakenly treat dogs as if they were anything but property.

The dog was mom's property and, the son has inherited ALL her property, and legally the dog is now his.

He should file theft charges and sue for damages against the persons wrongly holding the dog.

HomeGuru

Many people mistakenly treat dogs as if they were anything but property.

The dog was mom's property and, the son has inherited ALL her property, and legally the dog is now his.

He should file theft charges and sue for damages against the persons wrongly holding the dog.

**A: I agree .

Dandy Don

Please delete this question and move it to a more appropriate message board. It has no business being posted on the probate law message board.

nextwife

Please delete this question and move it to a more appropriate message board. It has no business being posted on the probate law message board.
If the dog was purchased from a breeder and owned by the decedant, which is what the third party seems to think, why would this not potentially be a probate matter? The only reason the ownership is in question is the woman's death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">