• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor or Employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeGrimes

Minnesota

I worked all summer for a lawn and landscape company for hourly pay that was faithfully paid to me every two weeks. Unfortunately there was never any taxes withheld on these pay checks. When asked why the employer simply stated we were independent contractors. Now I'm not sure what makes up the difference between employee and independent contractor... My reason for leaving this company is that me and the owner had a falling out over damage caused to a work vehicle during work hours. The employer still owes me a pay check and claims as soon as I fix the vehicle I will receive my paycheck. Now tax time is around the corner He's calling to get my SSN and address and I told him write me a check and I'll give you my information. He refuses. I was just wondering if I was in fact an Independent or an employee, if I'm responsible for the damage to the vehicle, and if he is responsible for paying into state, federal, FICA, and social security for the time I worked for him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">