• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-boyfriend claims he will take "appropriate legal action" -- should I be worried?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kate2587

Ex-boyfriend claims he will take "appropriate legal action" -- should I be worried?

What is the name of your state? Oregon

An ex-boyfriend of mine claims that he can take legal action against me for refusing to return his items (he refuses to give me the money he owes me). Is this true?

He owes me approximately $80, and the stuff I have of his was probably under $100 new. He also claims I owe him for something of his that was broken while in my possession, yet had left this unresolved for over 6 months until recently when he has demanded that I resolve it within two weeks. The monetary amount of this item is approximately $80.

seniorjudge

Q: An ex-boyfriend of mine claims that he can take legal action against me for refusing to return his items (he refuses to give me the money he owes me). Is this true?

A: Yes.

kate2587

What should I do? I am willing to give him back his items so long as he gives me the $80. I dispute the latter (~$70) charge.

I received an email from him on Monday demanding that I return things within two weeks, etc. or he will pursue legal action. Is he just making things up or will this only strengthen his case?

Thank you!

seniorjudge

Q: Is he just making things up or will this only strengthen his case?

A: I don't really know him that well so I can't answer this question.

kate2587

I sent you a private message with the content of the email. Perhaps that will help? Once again, thank you so much for answering my questions. I just want to be done with him now...

seniorjudge

I sent you a private message with the content of the email. Perhaps that will help? Once again, thank you so much for answering my questions. I just want to be done with him now...
Sorry...I don't do PMS. I get headachy and bloated and stuff.

kate2587

Alright, here it is:

--------------------------

[my name],

I ([his name]) will receive "my stuff" (as has been listed by me in a prior email) from you ([my name]) when I give you the money that I owe you. I would like you to reply with the exact amount so I can know in advance (You estimated $70 to $80). I will give you that money when you give me a battery (as has been described in a prior email by me). You will get me a battery within two weeks of my sending this email (today is 1/28/2008, so no later than 2/11/2008). Most items are shipped in 7 to 10 days. You may purchase one which states longer shipping times. If that is the case, send me proof of your purchase prior to Thursday and I will likely permit an appropriate extension. If such proof of purchase is not received by 11:59 PM Thursday (Pacific Time), it will be assumed that our transaction as has been described above will take place no later than 2/11/2008. The terms I have listed have been designed to meet the goal of settling this fairly and in a timely fashion.

The time period of two weeks starts today. It is not dependent on when you first read this email, nor does "a lack of time", "being busy", or anything short of serious illness constitute reason for it not to be followed.

This email has been blind carbon copied to ensure it's terms are known by others .

I earnestly do hope that you choose to follow the arrangement I have described in this email, and that you do not attempt to prolong or impede each of us from finishing this.

If you do not abide by the terms above, appropriate legal action will be taken.

[his name]

[his address]

las365

1. Give him his stuff.

2. Forgive or reduce the $80 he owes you so he can buy the replacement battery himself.

3. Grow up.

Happy Trails

Obviously you don't agree or want to abide by the terms he is asking.

You cannot hold his possessions hostage for money you believe he owes you.

You can consider taking him to small claims court for the amount he owes you, and he may put in a counter claim for what he believes you owe him.

Since the two of you cannot agree, let the court work it out for you both.

However, you do have to give his things back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">