• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage from a Cable Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benstill

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I subscribed to a local cable company (Brighthouse Networks) 2 months ago. In the installation process one of my plasma TVs burned out. I filed a claim for property damage with the cable company and their answer was they wont take responsibility because their technician believes they didn't break the TV, is basically my word against theirs. I'm trying to take legal action but I'm not sure where should I go next. I already exhausted talking to the cable company. Here are the events:

-Day 1
When the tech was performing the installation he was looking for the TV inputs behind the TV, at the time my son was watching TV, (I have satellite and was trying the cable service). Tech got frustrated because he couldn't reach behind the TV which was mounted on the wall. Once he finally found the inputs he yanked the cables out without turning the power off and the TV shut down. My wife saw what the tech did and asked him if he was supposed to turn the power off before pulling the cables the way he did, and the tech said no. A few minutes later he realized the cable he was running didn't fit in any of my TV's inputs, so he didn't finish the installation. He then moved to the next TV which he managed to install correctly. (My wife was witness to all this, I was at work)

-Then he went back to the TV in question, at this time he was so frustrated because he couldn't find the right input in the TV, he started to show a negative attitude, and my wife decided to phone me to explain the tech where to find the right inputs. I told him my TV doesn't have the type of cable he was running (coax) and told him he needs to use an adaptor or run a different type of cable (composite), the tech said he wouldn't run a different cable. At this point I can hear his frustration and attitude on the phone, so I told him to leave that TV alone. I thought it would be a good idea to keep that particular TV with my satellite service and use the other with the Brighthouse's service.

-Late that night I arrived home and my wife told me she tried to use the TV and that she couldn't get it to turn on. I checked the TV and I couldn't get it to work either. Satellite cables where on the floor, the tech not even attempted to re-connect the satellite inputs and he didn't test the TV for power either.

-Day2
Next morning I call the cable co explained what had happen and they guide me to file a property damage claim.

-Day 3
Tech's manager visited us to inspect the damage, I explained what happened, he tries to troubleshoot the TV by checking the power cable is properly secured. I point the fact that the tech was displaying bad temper, and he tells me that he has had several complaints about this particular tech regarding bad temper incidents. Then he tells me there is no way the TV will get damaged just by yanking the cables while the power is on. This was a statement made by a person who try to troubleshoot a plasma TV by making sure the power cable is properly attached!!! –my 8 years old son can do that– How can he be qualified to make a technical statement about electronics?, besides all electronics users manuals advice to turn power off before making any type of installations. Is common sense that electronics are sensitive to handling. Then the manager leaves.

-Day 4
I get a call from Brighthouse Networks and they tell me the claim is processing and they will have an answer within a week.

-A week goes by and no word from them, I called Brighthouse Networks to inquire and they tell me I will get a call from the claims department once the claim is processed.
Another week goes by and nothing, I called again and they give me the same story. 2 more weeks goes by and same story. I called a week later and they give me the same story, but this time I argue that this is unacceptable, they apologize and promise me I'll get a call from the claims dept the next day. Another week goes by and nothing, I called again and after been on hold for more than 15 min the customer service rep tells me the claim was denied, and they can't do anything about it.

I asked what were the ground for the denial and they tell me the tech said they think they didn't break the TV because they didn't install the coax cable in it. I argued more, scale to customer service manager and hit the same road block. He told me the only way is to take legal action.

Facts:
-TV was in working condition until he yanked the cables and the TV shut down right at that time.
-Tech had a bad temper which lead to cable yanking.
-All electronics manuals advice to turn power off before attempting to connect any devices.
-Electronics are sensitive to handling
-Tech's manager who came to inspect and evaluate the damage is not qualified to decide if the yanking of the cables could have damaged the TV.
-TV in question is just over a year old, practically new, and it was in perfect working condition.
-Finally, I would be dealing with this aggravation, phone calls, run around, etc, if I didn't believe there is enough "evidence" that the damage was caused by the tech.

Do I have a case? What should I do next and where should I go next?

Thanks for any advice.

BL

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I subscribed to a local cable company (Brighthouse Networks) 2 months ago. In the installation process one of my plasma TVs burned out. I filed a claim for property damage with the cable company and their answer was they wont take responsibility because their technician believes they didn't break the TV, is basically my word against theirs. I'm trying to take legal action but I'm not sure where should I go next. I already exhausted talking to the cable company. Here are the events:

-Day 1
When the tech was performing the installation he was looking for the TV inputs behind the TV, at the time my son was watching TV, (I have satellite and was trying the cable service). Tech got frustrated because he couldn't reach behind the TV which was mounted on the wall. Once he finally found the inputs he yanked the cables out without turning the power off and the TV shut down. My wife saw what the tech did and asked him if he was supposed to turn the power off before pulling the cables the way he did, and the tech said no. A few minutes later he realized the cable he was running didn't fit in any of my TV's inputs, so he didn't finish the installation. He then moved to the next TV which he managed to install correctly. (My wife was witness to all this, I was at work)

-Then he went back to the TV in question, at this time he was so frustrated because he couldn't find the right input in the TV, he started to show a negative attitude, and my wife decided to phone me to explain the tech where to find the right inputs. I told him my TV doesn't have the type of cable he was running (coax) and told him he needs to use an adaptor or run a different type of cable (composite), the tech said he wouldn't run a different cable. At this point I can hear his frustration and attitude on the phone, so I told him to leave that TV alone. I thought it would be a good idea to keep that particular TV with my satellite service and use the other with the Brighthouse's service.

-Late that night I arrived home and my wife told me she tried to use the TV and that she couldn't get it to turn on. I checked the TV and I couldn't get it to work either. Satellite cables where on the floor, the tech not even attempted to re-connect the satellite inputs and he didn't test the TV for power either.

-Day2
Next morning I call the cable co explained what had happen and they guide me to file a property damage claim.

-Day 3
Tech's manager visited us to inspect the damage, I explained what happened, he tries to troubleshoot the TV by checking the power cable is properly secured. I point the fact that the tech was displaying bad temper, and he tells me that he has had several complaints about this particular tech regarding bad temper incidents. Then he tells me there is no way the TV will get damaged just by yanking the cables while the power is on. This was a statement made by a person who try to troubleshoot a plasma TV by making sure the power cable is properly attached!!! –my 8 years old son can do that– How can he be qualified to make a technical statement about electronics?, besides all electronics users manuals advice to turn power off before making any type of installations. Is common sense that electronics are sensitive to handling. Then the manager leaves.

-Day 4
I get a call from Brighthouse Networks and they tell me the claim is processing and they will have an answer within a week.

-A week goes by and no word from them, I called Brighthouse Networks to inquire and they tell me I will get a call from the claims department once the claim is processed.
Another week goes by and nothing, I called again and they give me the same story. 2 more weeks goes by and same story. I called a week later and they give me the same story, but this time I argue that this is unacceptable, they apologize and promise me I'll get a call from the claims dept the next day. Another week goes by and nothing, I called again and after been on hold for more than 15 min the customer service rep tells me the claim was denied, and they can't do anything about it.

I asked what were the ground for the denial and they tell me the tech said they think they didn't break the TV because they didn't install the coax cable in it. I argued more, scale to customer service manager and hit the same road block. He told me the only way is to take legal action.

Facts:
-TV was in working condition until he yanked the cables and the TV shut down right at that time.
-Tech had a bad temper which lead to cable yanking.
-All electronics manuals advice to turn power off before attempting to connect any devices.
-Electronics are sensitive to handling
-Tech's manager who came to inspect and evaluate the damage is not qualified to decide if the yanking of the cables could have damaged the TV.
-TV in question is just over a year old, practically new, and it was in perfect working condition.
-Finally, I would be dealing with this aggravation, phone calls, run around, etc, if I didn't believe there is enough "evidence" that the damage was caused by the tech.

Do I have a case? What should I do next and where should I go next?

Thanks for any advice.
Have you talked to your TV manufacturer's technical/repair Dept. ?

Maybe a estimate and second opinion in writing that power on and connections could cause damage ?

How about a formal complaint with your local office of Attorney General consumer complaint ?

Note: I have never had any problems connecting any electronic or cable while a TV was on . Maybe the new LCDs and plasmas are more prone to fail that way , I don't know .

I know you will need some sort of proof that it could possibly fail with the way he was treating the electronic .

benstill

Have you talked to your TV manufacturer's technical/repair Dept. ?

Maybe a estimate and second opinion in writing that power on and connections could cause damage ?

How about a formal complaint with your local office of Attorney General consumer complaint ?

Note: I have never had any problems connecting any electronic or cable while a TV was on . Maybe the new LCDs and plasmas are more prone to fail that way , I don't know .

I know you will need some sort of proof that it could possibly fail with the way he was treating the electronic .
The TV is out of warranty, but I will call SONY's tech dept, maybe they can share a diff perspective on the issue and even help me find a local repair facility to get an estimate.

What would the local Attorney General do if they see my complaint?

What's the best option, small claims or Attorney General?

And yes, plasmas and lcds are much more sensitive than the regular TVs.

I also asked the cable co, to give me copies of the claim showing why it was denied.

Thanks

Last edited:

BL

The TV is out of warranty, but I will call SONY's tech dept, maybe they can share a diff perspective on the issue and even help me find a local repair facility to get an estimate.

What would the local Attorney General do if they see my complaint?

What's the best option, small claims or Attorney General?

And yes, plasmas and lcds are much more sensitive than the regular TVs.

I also asked the cable co, to give me copies of the claim showing why it was denied.

Thanks
As I said you have to have something to back up your claim .

A complaint to the OAG will be forwarded to the place(s) you done business with .

The OAG would have the consumer representatives name for that Co.

The OAG may or may not get a reply , in any event , the OAG will notify you .

It could take a couple of months .

Personally , I have had good luck with filing complaints with them .

Yes , you should get an estimate by a Sony authorized repair facility .

If you chose to get it repaired ( if possible ) , you could sue in small claims .

You would want a note on that estimate , that in their ( repair shop ) opinion the cable guy did ( what specifically ) causing the unit not to work .

So you would either get the cost of repair , or the cost of what the unit was worth the day it was no longer working .

If they respond through the OAG they may decide to replace the unit with a comparable unit .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">