• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joseph12631

I live in Texas, my parents are divorced and I live with my Mother. My parents have joint custody the exception to this is that my mom decides where I go to school. I'm 16 and am ready to get my driver's license. My Father like myself also wants me to get my driver's license and is going to give me (just operate the vehicle, he has the title) the car. The only trouble is my Mom doesn't want me to have my license ( I don't know why). To get my license I have to get a signature of a parent ( the link to the law is this:

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=15&rl=27

) So my question is if my Dad were to sign for the license, but my Mom wanted to take it away could she?

Thanks. Any answer is greatly appreciated

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your mom has a say so if you drive at her home while in her physical custody. She also has a say so in whether or not she pays for your insurance or will supply you with any insurance at all. Dad can allow you to drive at his home on his car but that doesn't mean mom has to abide by the same rules.

The Occultist

I remember when I turned 16 and got my license, my parents' insurance premium went up because there was another licensed driver within the household. Some insurance companies are like that, and your mother has the right to decide she doesn't want her insurance to increase.

Joseph12631

I checked with the insurance company and they said that they can only have one policy for me, both my parents use the same insurance company. So my only thing is whether she can pull my dad's signature once I get my license. The company would cover my car (which is still my dad's car) as well as all my dad's vehicles and my mom's vehicle. So**************

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">