• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding destroyed property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SLAMnoma95

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Long story short, I took a vehicle of mine to a person in Oklahoma to perform some work on it. It was a solely verbal agreement. In the end, he charged me $2400 in labor, as well as destroyed the vehicle's road worthiness, and several thousand dollars in parts that were also sent to him. I do have proof of the monetary value of the parts ruined.

This was done in 2005, I was told not to persue this at the time because it was too painful for me to come to terms with the ruining of my truck, I had very emotional ties to.

Since then he has vanished and moved to Virginia. He has recently popped up on radar again, and I can't help but want to seek vengeance for a vehicle that I have since sent to the scrap yard due to its unsafe conditions. My question is whether or not I have any legal recourse against him, and what I would need to do in order to persue this seen as though its in another state. Also, what the statute of limitation is on this sort of thing, and also what the maximum compensation I could receive is?

Other key factors left out for the sake of being succinct with this story: I went to OK to pick up the truck and was put in terrible living/working conditions and was not allowed to shower or sleep in a bed, but rather in the driver seat from my truck set in his living room. I was also threatened to be killed by his "drug dealing cousin" if I tried to contact the authorities while I was down there. Eventually, 6 days later, I was able to go to the airport on an emergency flight home (which I paid for that and that he signed a contract saying he would reimburse). Later, I received the vehicle back from him in a completely unfinished and unsafe condition, with no sign of him in sight for the past 3 years.

Thanks, if any other info is needed please ask.

Rob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">