• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ATT Contract change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guest11111

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi i just saw this statement on my latest cell phone bill:

Messaging Pay Per Use Rate Change Notification
Effective 3/30/08, AT&T will charge 20¢ for text/instant messages & 30¢ for picture/video messages sent or received on a pay-per-use basis. If you already subscribe to a Messaging Package or Media Bundle, there is no change to your rate. By purchasing a Messaging Package, you can send and receive messages for as little as a 1¢ per message. Sign up and save at att.com/getmedia

According to ATT's consumer code:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/consumer-code.jsp

Looking at part 7 of the code, shouldn't I be allowed to cancel my contract without an early termination fee?

Do i have a strong enough case to call customer service and get out of my contract. I've been with at&t for the past 2 years, and the text msg rates have gone up 100% since i've first signed a contract with them and i'm tired of it. I don't txt message a lot but I still receive them from my friends from time to time. Technology has gotten better and text msgs should be cheaper, instead of the reverse. They are taking advantage of a txt msg trend and those who refuse to sign up for their text msg plans are suffering.

Thank you for reading.

You Are Guilty

There is no absolute answer. Personally, I believe that the rate change is "material" and would justify a cancellation without penalty. AT&T, as you can imagine, would probably disagree. If you try to cancel and the rep gives you a hard time, try going up the ladder to someone in charge. If that doesn't work, try calling the Consumer Fraud folks at the AG's office ((800) 771-7755). They might be able to help.

BoredAtty

Assuming your contract is for phone service, and not a text messaging service, then I doubt a rate hike for the ancillary and purely optional text message service is a material change of your phone service contract.

It can't hurt to give the argument a try, though.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">