• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued over property transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jacshan

My mother and I are being sued by a hospital she was in 2years ago.
At the time, my dad was in a nursing home and my mother was living with me. An attorney advised me to move her real property to myself using her power of attorney so that I would be able to sell it and use the proceeds to care for both parents.
By the time the transfer took place, my mother had been hospitalized and my father passed away two weeks later.
Now the hospital is claiming that I defrauded my mom since the power of Attorney did not specifically give me authority to give gifts.
They are seeking to have the property returned to her and sold to pay part of her bill.
What's the deal? Am I legally liable for her hospital bills? I have been paying a small amount when I can, but all my mom's social security income, all income from the property and $600-800 per month out of my own pocket are going to keep up her current care.
Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">