• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mover has disappeared with some of my stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmoody23

What is the name of your state? Tennessee is where I moved from and where the mover is, Mississippi is where I moved to.

Here's the deal, In Aug/Sept of 2006 we had to move from Memphis, TN to Nashville, TN. We looked up movers and the one we chose had very good referrals. We had them load all of our stuff into PODS for storage until we found a place to live in Nashville. Everything went great except we ran out of room in the two PODS. The mover offered to bring a truck and load the remaining items and take them to a storage facility. We agreed. Fast forward to now, we have ended up moving to Jacksonm, MS and we cannot track the guy down. We got all our stuff from our PODS just fine but we are trying to get the remaining stuff from him.

I know he is screening my calls because the first time I called him about the stuff he answered (about 2 weeks ago). I asked him to put together a proposal for him to bring me the stuff, he said he would email it to me. I never heard from him. Now, no contact.

What should I do at this point? I have yet to leave a voicemail threatening to call the police although that is what I am thinking I should do. I have to go to Memphis next week anyway so I thought I would tell him if I don't here from him I am going up to file a police report.

We have no contract for the storage but I have the invoice where I paid him for the truck he used and for 1 years worth of storage. I can get the credit card payment showing it was paid. I have a witness(the people that bought the home from me) who had to open the garage to let him load all the stuff into the truck. I don't think he is going to deny the fact that he took the stuff, I think he just plans on disappering

There really isn't that much he had to store, maybe 3000-4000 worth of stuff , but one item was my wife's grandfathers hope chest type of furniture that I believe he made himself and she wants that back. Other than that piece I could care less, it was all the stuff out of the garage, lawn mowers, patio furniture, power tools, that kind of thing that can eaisliy be replaced. Will my old homeowner's insurance cover any of the losses?

Thanks for any responses.

seniorjudge

Sue the bad people in small claims court in the county where they do business for the actual and direct dollar amount of damages you suffered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">