• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons left on the door?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanja53

What is the name of your state? CA
I have had summons left on my door.
They have just been there when I get home or when I leave the house.
I have not been served in person neither has any body else in the house.
And where I live it has been windy and rainy.
And it is not evection notices
I don't like this cause what if nobody in the family sees the summons, they can blow away and they can get wet.
And there is a lot of kids and people in general where I live. What if somebody takes them ?!
Who's fault is that ?
Anyone in Ca. that has experienced the same.
And what to do if I wouldn't get them/
So far I have gotten them.

Just Blue

Obviously you have gotten your summons...So whats your problem? :confused:

You were served legally. Show up for court.

CourtClerk

In CA, you are able to get an order for posting after attempting diligently to serve the person.

So you got your summons. Congratulations. Don't forget to answer before they get a default.

tanja53

Problem is that the summons was not given to me

I have a real problem with this. Sure I got them.But since they where posted on my door in the rain and wind, they could have gotten destroyed.
So what then. Who's fault would that be.
I am not siiting by the door 24/7 waiting for people to show up.
In fact some times I am not even in the country since most of my family lives abroad.
So to me that is vey irrisponsible.
Then i am out of the country I stay there for 2 months. So is that to take a chance. that I migth not get them.

tanja53

question to "court clerk".

In one of the summons that I got they had wrote down the wrong case number to the summon.
How do I get the courts attention of that in CA.
I have been told by friends just to go to the county clerk and have that corrected.
How ever the county clerk here doesn't do that or will tell me what to do.
And I just don't know.

Just Blue

I have a real problem with this. Sure I got them.But since they where posted on my door in the rain and wind, they could have gotten destroyed.
So what then. Who's fault would that be.
I am not siiting by the door 24/7 waiting for people to show up.
In fact some times I am not even in the country since most of my family lives abroad.
So to me that is vey irrisponsible.
Then i am out of the country I stay there for 2 months. So is that to take a chance. that I migth not get them.
What is it you are trying to accomplish with this thread? Are you asking, in a round about way , if you can NOT show up and deny having received the summons? If not what is your point?

tanja53

Answer to baystategirl

First another member on this site thought that my experience was important enough for me to have my own thread.
Secound I think that it is important to know what would have happened if I have gotten them.
The last summons barely made it in one of the storms.
And what is the point of leaving summons to somebody if they are socking wet and torn and can't be read.

las365

If someone told you to start your own thread for your question, that's because it is the etiquette of the board that you do not hijack other people's threads. It wasn't a comment on the importance of your question (not that your question is unimportant).

You received the summons. That is the point of serving it. What could have happened or whether or not you like the way it went down is irrelevant.

The advice you have received is good. Answer the summons.

CourtClerk

In one of the summons that I got they had wrote down the wrong case number to the summon.
How do I get the courts attention of that in CA.
I have been told by friends just to go to the county clerk and have that corrected.
How ever the county clerk here doesn't do that or will tell me what to do.
And I just don't know.
Don't put my name in quotations... either write it out or don't.

Second, the county clerk has nothing to do whatsoever with lawsuits. You need to go to the courthouse. Take your answer with you so that you don't default. If your county's court has civil web access, you may be able to access your information online. LA County will allow you to do a search for something like $5.00 per name.

If someone told you to start your own thread, it wasn't because someone deemed your question important enough, it's because you shouldn't hijack someone else's thread. It's rude (like putting someone's name in quotations), and bad forum behavior.

tanja53

Sorry about that. Idin't know that I hijacked somebodys thread. I have never heard that in regarding sites like this. And I am new to this site.
I have been told so many different things about this that it is very hard for me to know what is correct or not.
And yes I have talked to the court.
And of cause I have answeed the summons.

tanja53

I also want to add since I was told that I was a bit rude.
That I do a lot of forum diskussions over internet in my birth countrys internet sites.
And there it is very rude not to address the person you are talking to.
I have to keep in mind that it is the opposite in USA.

seniorjudge

Sorry about that. Idin't know that I hijacked somebodys thread. I have never heard that in regarding sites like this. And I am new to this site.
I have been told so many different things about this that it is very hard for me to know what is correct or not.
And yes I have talked to the court.
And of cause I have answeed the summons.
Good.

Don't rely on irregularity of service as a valid defense.

tanja53

So what would a valid defense be ?
If they wouyld have been destroyed and I cloudn't have read them at all.
If that would been the case then what?

Just Blue

I also want to add since I was told that I was a bit rude.
That I do a lot of forum diskussions over internet in my birth countrys internet sites.
And there it is very rude not to address the person you are talking to.
I have to keep in mind that it is the opposite in USA.
You should address the person you are responding to...Just don't put their name in quotes. THAT is rude.

Example: "tanja53" is rude.

You could click on the quote button in the post you are responding to. Like I did with your post here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">