• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SlantedReason

What is the name of your state? Oregon
Ok I am 17 and dating a 14 year old, (didnt know this when i first met her), is it illegal for me to date her while we are both this age? Sex is not a object I can wait a few years, but I just want to know if its illegal if I date her, her father fully approves

Free_Radical154

Please note, I am not a lawyer and have no idea in all hell what I'm talking about. I did, however, have a similar concern recently, so I have fair confidence in saying:

Sex *may* be illegal, that's really up to Oregon. But, if you're the gentlemen you claim to be, you shouldn't be looking at anything.

However...

A judge who had a pet peeve with your relationship would be at liberty to throw the book at you. Try not to find yourself 'contributing to the delinquency of a minor' by spending time with her without guardian approval, or when she should be in school. And don't do anything unnecessarily freaky in public.

Or in private, for that matter. You really should personally consider the ramifications of dating through such an age disparity. Unfortunately, this is FreeLegalAdvice, not FreeMoralAdvice, so I will leave you to look elsewhere for guidance in this ambiguous choice of yours.

BehindTheMask

If I remember correctly, Oregon law is allowing for a 3 year gap in ages. The fact you have parent permission is a plus.
Honestly I find myself in somewhat the same boat, but that is another thing not needed here.
Basically be careful, and be safe.

mommyof4

There is no law, statute, or code that prohibits ANYONE from dating ANYONE.

It's the activities that may occur within that dating relationship that are subject to legalities.

Now, why don't you tell us what you consider to be 'dating' and maybe we can answer your question.

Just to start you out on the right path, anything more stimulating than a high 5 is courting trouble. "Dating" does not have to involve any physical, romantic contact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">