• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Build Web site, client doesn't like, doesn't want to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hannaconda

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was contacted by a guy to redesign his Web site. I quoted him between $1000-$1500.

We met a couple of times and to go over what he wanted. He is almost 90 years old, so he tells me the same thing four and five times. He wants a modern bright site with big images. (He is a interior designer by the way.) I figure for my first draft I would give help show the viewer, even though he is so old, doesn't mean his desings are. So I made it very modern and MTVish, but not too overboard.

I emailed him the link once I was finished, he responded with, he had no idea what I was talking about. I called him, left a message, emailed again with no responce. Finally he calls me and says "send me a link."

He then calls me a half hour later and says that the site wasn't what he was looking for, and he would rather just pay me a couple of hundred buck and have someone else do it. I said first of all is cost much more than a couple of hundred buck, and I wanted to work with him to get something that he liked.

He said, "send me an invoice for $500 and I'll pay that, I'll have nothing and you'll have my $500." I said, I want to work with you on getting a site that you like... he said "send me an invoice for $500 and I'll pay it and thats it, I'll have omeone else do it."
than he hung up on me.

Should I just chalk it up as a loss and send a $500 invoice and be done with it?
or
Should I fight him on sending me the full amount?

I get paid for my time per hour and not per product. Some clients get much more for the same amount of money, based on how many changes etc (time I send on each piece).

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really don't have a contract in the first place, IMO. Take the $500 and move on.

hannaconda

verbal

I am going to let this one go.
For future, wouldn't this be a verbal contract?
Or do I need to get everyone that hires me to sign some sort of contract?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am going to let this one go.
For future, wouldn't this be a verbal contract?
Or do I need to get everyone that hires me to sign some sort of contract?

Thanks
The terms of your "contract" are very vague. Vague enough that you would be hard pressed to prove that a contract even existed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">