• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home of 20+ Years To Be Divided

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpseeker57

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello, my mother passed away a few months ago, and her will states that all her assests were to be divided among her three children, which apparently means we sell her home and divide the profit. The problem is, I have been living in this home for 20 years. I lived in her home while taking care of my mother due to her diminished mental state and physical problems. Do I have any recourse for staying in the home I have had for so many years, is there any law that could help me keep the house that I feel is my own home too at this point? I don't really have anyplace else to go, I have no children and I don't get along well with my family.

Thank you for any advice.

curb1

You most likely will have to sell the house and split the proceeds. Who is the personal representative for your mother's estate? Did you have any other written agreement about the disposal of the house besides the will? Were there any other assets to divide?
Other option: Buy out the share of the house from the other two siblings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">