• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcg120285

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Hey, my father died in 2003 and didnt leave a will. He was married to and had a child with my now ex-stepmother. I didnt live with him at the time of death. I never received anything from his estate. He, in my eyes, was a wealthy man. Was i entitled to a third of his estate when he died and if so am i still entitled to it being that it is 5 years later. I was never informed of anything when he died. Is there any age restrictions in my case. If I am still entitled to it, what actions do i need to take to accquire it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dandy Don

How do you know for sure that he did not leave a will?

Why did you not check into this earlier, soon after he died?

Would stepmother have known where you were living in order to notify you about the probate?

Your first step will be to check at the county courthouse probate court to see if there is a record of any estate being probated on his behalf. If an estate was probated, there will be a file containing paperwork about the proceedings--you can visit the courthouse to look at the file or order copies of the paperwork to be mailed to you.

If he put his assets into a trust, there will be no public record of that. You may have waited too late to do anything, but first see what there is at the courthouse and then come back and post an update.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

Hey, my father died in 2003 and didnt leave a will. He was married to and had a child with my now ex-stepmother. I didnt live with him at the time of death. I never received anything from his estate. He, in my eyes, was a wealthy man. Was i entitled to a third of his estate when he died and if so am i still entitled to it being that it is 5 years later. I was never informed of anything when he died. Is there any age restrictions in my case. If I am still entitled to it, what actions do i need to take to accquire it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You cannot sit on your rights.

You have waited too long.

You have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">