• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need clarification on meaning of Indemnity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

st4nowk

What is the name of your state? PA

I am requesting assistance regarding wording in an estate settlement. It reads as follows:
(with some of the names & wording changed to keep anonymous)

The proceeds from my father's estate are going to be issued to the attorney, these monies will be depostied into the law firm's Trust Account and will deduct from the amount of that check 15% Inheritance Tax on the date of death balance due to the Commonwealth of PA and pay said tax to Register of Wills, Agent, on account. "The attorney" warrants that all PA Inheritance Tax due on the Savings & Loan Association account shall be paid in full and "said person #1" shall be indemnified by ESTATE for said tax. Further, "the attorney" shall distribute the balance of the $ as follows:

a. 70% to "said person #1
b. 30% to "estate of my father" (myself & sister)

--> Please help with the definition on the bolded portion above where it says "said person #1" shall be indemnified by ESTATE. Does this mean that after the $ is distributed the ESTATE then has to reimburse "said person #1" for the amount of that Inheritance Tax?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Dandy Don

You posted this question somewhere else, or what I think happened is that someone tried to respond to it by quoting your posting. If possible try to do delete one of them.

Do a GOOGLE search using the phrase idemnified so you can get an understanding of what it might mean--the legal definition. It's hard to understand the complete meaning because we only see one sentence out of context from the entire paragraph or document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">