• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old wanting to leave home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cullen.D

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi, my friend who is 17 wants to leave home. His parents are verbally abbusive, and he is afraid that when his dad comes home from a business trip he will get beaten. This friend wants to leave home, would it be alright if we let him stayed here? We may try and become his legal guardians.

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi, my friend who is 17 wants to leave home. His parents are verbally abbusive, and he is afraid that when his dad comes home from a business trip he will get beaten. This friend wants to leave home, would it be alright if we let him stayed here? We may try and become his legal guardians.
Does he have permission to stay at your house (and I don't mean permission from the house he is going to)?

The Occultist

The only recourse this friend has is to have CPS intervene. If this happens, they will place the friend in a foster home, not with a friend of the aforementioned friend.

Happy Trails

Cullen, what did your friend do that he is afraid that his father will be abusive upon returning home?

I agree with Occultist, CPS is the proper agency to report this to. He can also talk with a school guidance counselor about the problems he is having at home.

Your family wanting to seek guardianship is wishful thinking.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
And your parents need to understand exactly how much trouble they can get in if they agree to just take him in. Your friend cannot just move out of his family's home without some kind of legal intervention, and anyone aiding him in an attempt to run away will face consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">