• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will still not read!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PHILLIP LOVE

I recently posted something regarding my father-in-law having a friend he knew pass away and the friend was worth at least 15 million dollars!!..he was told by a lawyer that is handling the will that he was in the will..but that is all..the person is someone that my father-in-law knows to be an actual lawyer and not someone trying to get his social security number (which he asked for when he told him he was in the will)..I was answered and told that he should be carefull about giving out this number...but I found out that this person has been his friends lawyer for years!!
But he still has not found out what he was left..I was told it could take 9 months or so to get actual funds from the estate..but how long or legally long does it take to find out what you were left?? Cant the lawyer just tell him what the will says..even though he will not get the money right then?? Or can someone put in their will (I leave 45% of my estate to a person)in which if the amount of the estate is not known it would take longer??
Waiting and wondering!!

Phillip Love

A

advisor10

(01-30-2001)

The lawyer honestly can not say with certainty what a person's share of the estate will be until all debts have been paid, and then the estate is ready to be distributed. However, in the interest of honesty, he should at least provide this person with a copy of the will if he asks for one.

The person who is receiving the funds should not be a pest by continually asking the executor about this matter, but has a right to ask and should ask for an estimated deadline of when he can expect to receive that information and how will he be contacted (by phone or by mail, etc.).

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">