• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Motorcycle was Stolen from Building Parking Lot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackooze

Brooklyn, NY

Hello, I am looking for some legal advice regarding my situation that I have with my building (HPD Housing). My motorcycle was stolen from the buildings outside gated parking lot in the middle of the night. Now the building regulation states that they are not responsible for any damage or theft commited on the buildings property.
Now my building has a board of directors that has received reimbursement for damages done to their vehicles on several occasions. I have hard copy proof of the building financial statements that these individuals were paid out by the building. Also, I have proof stating that board of directors, under no circumstance are allowed to be treated any differently then the other tenants.

Do I have a chance to sue the building in small claims court for the amount of $5,000 and win?

You Are Guilty

A chance? Sure, there's a chance anything can happen. I'd say you have about the same chance of spontaneously combusting tomorrow as you do for winning a small claims case on this basis. While there may be an issue of self-dealing with the Board, it in no way overrides the lease provision you cited. (And self-dealing isn't something you can deal with in Small Claims.)

Best bet is to just let your insurance handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">