• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental bill magically doubled, advice please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teggie

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need an opinion on how to approach a dispute I currently have with a dental provider.

Last year, a family member was in need of dental extractions. We had a dental discount plan, not an insurance, just a plan that has a list of procedures and prices that are offered to members who visit participating providers.

After several calls and failed consults with providers who would not use the plan we found one provider who was listed on the dental plans site as a participating provider and called for a consult.

Family member attended the consult & was told he needed extractions & someone from thier billing office would contact us to make financial arrangments. A copy of our dental discount card was made & we informed them that according to our plan we would be eligible for a 25% discount off the total cost of a speciality provider's service. In this case the dental provider would be a speciality provider because a oral surgeon's services would be needed.

A couple of days later we get a call from the person who does the financial arrangments for the procedures. They tell us they have called our plan and were told that it is indeed a dental discount plan and we would only be eligible for a 25% discount off the total amount of services. I say yes, we know that, we need an estimate as to what our cost would be as we planned to use our Carecredit account to pay for the services.

A few days later we get a call stating our amount would be around 3,200. We say ok, schedule the procedure and two days before the procedure I arrange to place the 3,200 charge on my Carecredit account. We then have the procedure done. In the time shortly following the procedure we have no word from them telling us anymore work had been done that was originally planned or that we were told a wrong amount.

A month later I get a bill for 3,157. I check my Carecredit account thinking something wasn't paid but the Carecredit account shows a payment of 3,099 was made to the dental provider. I call the dental provider and ask what the bill is for. They say they don't know why we received a bill because our account balance showed 0 and that a Carecredit payment had been received. They say it's prob just a billing glitch.

2 weeks ago, 4 monthes since the procedure was done I get a call from a insurance person at the dental provider. She proceeds to tell me that our dental claim was denied and our balance was 3,157. I state I have no knowledge of this and asked why was a dental claim filed on a dental discount plan that is not a insurance. She suggests I call up the office were services were rendered to clear it up.

I call the office where services were rendered and ask to speak to the office manager, I explain my situation but she is unable to look the acct up due to weather issues had knocked thier internet out, she states she would call me back. I wait a few days and she has not called back so I call again, she is out of office so I leave another message. She doesn't return that call either so 2 days ago I finally get ahold of her.

I explain the situation once again and ask why we are being charged an additional 3,157. She states our insurance did not pay thier portion and we would have to. I state we didn't have insurance, we had a dental discount plan and no claims should have been filed. I stated that was made clear when the finacial arrangments were made because thier person called the dental plan and confirmed that a 25% discount off the services was what we were to get. I stated we were told our cost would be around 3,200 & that is what we paid. I stated that if we had been told a cost of 6,000 was a possiblity we would not have had the services done. She replies that thier insurance person must have gotton the wrong information and as a result filed a claim. She says we are responsible for the 3,157 and need to make payment arrangments.

I decide at that time to terminate the call and find out what my rights are.

I have written an email through Planet Feedback to the CEO of this company asking for resolution & have had no reply yet.

Are companies allowed to give you one price, have you pay it & have services & then turn around and say you owe us double that because we say so? And we didn't tell you this cost might be a possibility but you have to pay it anyway.

Do I have any rights here to ask the 3,157 be waived?

Thank you,
TeggieWhat is the name of your state?

Teggie

They never sent us anything in writing. It was all done on the phone, they called us on a Thursday and stated our part would be 3200, I arranged the Carecredit payment the next day, which was a Friday, for 3,200 & services were provided the next day, which was a Saturday and 3,099 was charged to our Carecredit account shortly after.

I currently have requested copies of all of thier records and billing. Carecredit is sending me documentation that the 3,099.00 was paid.

We were told prior to getting the services that the full amount would need to be paid ahead of time. At the time services were performed we only signed a consent for the actual procedure and a post procedure instruction sheet.

We were not told ahead of time that a possible charge of 6K could be possible.

We were not told when services were rendered that any additional work had been done besides what we were quoted before hand and the fact that they only used 3099 of the 3200 leads me to beleive that no extra work had to be done. Nor were we contacted the following week and told there was a price difference or that additional work had been done. We never recieved anything in the mail either..

We heard nothing until 2 weeks ago when we received a call that insurance that we never had denied a claim that should have never been made.

Can they really do this to people?

Thank you,
Teggie

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can they really do this to people?

Thank you,
Teggie
This is a billing dispute - deal with it on a professional level. Yes, they can do it...and people can dispute it and it can be resolved.

Teggie

Understood.

So what would be our best course of action?

I have written a email to the CEO's office describing the dispute and requesting records & billing. I will make an actual letter to send to them certified mail with the same information as it is appearing at this time I may receive no reponse from the email sent.

I have proof of payment coming from Carecredit.

Is there anything else I should be doing at this point?

Thank you,
Teggie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">