• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car still in fathers name, what should i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbrant

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My father passed away last August. Unfortunately was not prepared at all, he left me with nothing but debt. My car was still in his name, in order to get the car in my name is to open the estate, my lawyer tells me I probably don't want to do that so any advice on what to do with a car with no title? Is there any way I could donate it it charity without a title? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

curb1

What do you mean, "he left me with nothing but debt." His debt is not your debt. If the car was in his name, it is part of his estate and could be sold to pay any debts. Was there a will?

kbrant

My lawyer advised me to not open the estate therefore theres no way to get the car back into my name. He had a will, everything (and by everything I mean nothing) was left to me...I'm losing the house (about $90,000 is owed) and about $40,000 in credit card debt. So without opening the estate does anyone know what I could do? thank you.

curb1

You sell everything and pay the debts. The rest is yours. I don't understand where the problem is?

kbrant

We were in the middle of remodeling when my dad passed away, theres no way to sell the house for what is owed. I have no way of paying the mortgage or any of his other debts. My only question is...what can I do with a car that has no title?

curb1

The car is in your dad's name. Sell it. It has a title in your dad's name. Go down to your department of motor vehicles and ask them how to handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">