• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! Dont know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlambert218

What is the name of your state? Oregon/Texas

Ok so a few months ago I lived with 3 roomates in the state of oregon. In dec I decided to move out due to moving out of the state and constant drug use from roommates. Another one of there friends moved in and paid the full amount of rent on dec 3rd and I was suppose to move out but complications didnt allow me to do so, so I stayed on the couch till dec 23rd. I was on the least unti jan 14th, I now reside in Texas and the roommate that moved in is now wanting to sue me for half of the rent that I stayed there for which is about $200. I dont mind paying it but really dont want to just because of threats made by him. My question is would it just be cheaper for me to pay him rather than getting sued and maybe having to fly back to oregon to appear to court? Thanks any help would be much appreciated

Oh and im not sure if this matters but I recented filed a police report on him because of threats and the suppicion he or they were using my personal information such as ss numbers for accounts.

dlambert218

oh and

Not that this really matters but when he paid rent he paid all cash while I was still on the lease for another month.

Happy Trails

dlambert218 said:
My question is would it just be cheaper for me to pay him rather than getting sued and maybe having to fly back to oregon to appear to court?
If you think he has a legitimate claim, then of course it would be better to settle without going to court.

It is also possible he is just blowing smoke.

dlambert218

claim

The thing is I dont think he has a legitamate claim but I just dont want to risk it and have to fly back to oregon. Plane ticket along cost more than what he wants, lol....I was going to pay him when I moved out but he used threats against me like he knew where my mom lived. I know he would not do anything because he is all talk so thinking he is all talk right now....just seems like alot of trouble with court and fees for a measly $200

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">