• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Spouse's Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momatwitsend

What is the name of your state? TN

I have a couple of questions. First question pertains to deceased spousal debt. My husband has been having some serious health issues and we want to be prepared. If he were to die, would I be responsible for his unpaid medical bills and any bills that would be in his name only? We have good medical insurance, but if he was hospitalized for a long period of time I'm sure it would max out. We also have life insurance, but we're not sure if we have enough which is why we're seeking answers concerning debt responsibility.

Also, I read a similar question in the forum. The answer stated that the insurance money would not be a part of the estate. Could you please explain to me, exactly what the "estate" would entail?

JETX

If he were to die, would I be responsible for his unpaid medical bills and any bills that would be in his name only?
No.

The answer stated that the insurance money would not be a part of the estate.
Insurance proceeds paid to someone else is not a part of the estate. Any insurance proceeds that name the decedent as beneficiary are a part of his estate.

Could you please explain to me, exactly what the "estate" would entail?
An estate consists of all assets that were owned by the decedent at the time of his/her death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">