• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Erm... I don't get how this whole "mess" that I am in works.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IHasCheese

What is the name of your state? Mississippi.

Crime? Six counts of burgular of a vehicle (non dwelling)

Age? 16

My two other friends and I were recently arrested (8 police and like 2 dogs almost tried to kill us). We were sent to juvy, went to juvy counsoler, then we went to juvenile court. The judge said that we were to get house arrests for 6 months or something then to go to a differnt judge.

I don't understand why we have to see another judge.

Also, I was told that this would be going on my record as a felony. Does this "record" get erased or something so that when I am an adult, its no longer "valid data" per say. I was planning to go into the medical field when I grow a bit older, but it looks like I am going to have a change of plan.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Mississippi.

Crime? Six counts of burgular of a vehicle (non dwelling)

Age? 16

My two other friends and I were recently arrested (8 police and like 2 dogs almost tried to kill us). We were sent to juvy, went to juvy counsoler, then we went to juvenile court. The judge said that we were to get house arrests for 6 months or something then to go to a differnt judge.

I don't understand why we have to see another judge.

Also, I was told that this would be going on my record as a felony. Does this "record" get erased or something so that when I am an adult, its no longer "valid data" per say. I was planning to go into the medical field when I grow a bit older, but it looks like I am going to have a change of plan.
:rolleyes:
Stay in school, Bucky. You're barely literate.

IHasCheese

Thanks for the barely litterate part, I can't type worth sh*t lol :)

BTW, I don't mean to flame back or brag or anything, but the 3 of us who got big doo doo were in the top 10 of our class (outa 400) with a ACT average of 32.

According to all the people in the legal system that were trying to "correct" us, we were "bored" and had nothing "better to do"

I was tried as a juvenile, as far as I know.

Silverplum

Thanks for the barely litterate part, I can't type worth sh*t lol :)

BTW, I don't mean to flame back or brag or anything, but the 3 of us who got big doo doo were in the top 10 of our class (outa 400) with a ACT average of 32.

According to all the people in the legal system that were trying to "correct" us, we were "bored" and had nothing "better to do"

I was tried as a juvenile, as far as I know.
My comment was not about your typing. It's about your ability to express yourself in writing. Just because you are not taking the ACT at this very moment does not mean you do not need to express yourself properly. Especially since you want legal help. Do you think we are a bunch of teens with "nothing better to do"? :rolleyes:

What on earth do you MEAN, "as far as I know"??? How can you NOT know whether you were tried as a juvenile or an adult? Were you not there? Were you asleep? Do you have no paperwork? Do you expect us to DIVINE what happened?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Must not be a very demanding school...My eldest graduated 13th in her class with a GPA of 4.132. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Must not be a very demanding school...My eldest graduated 13th in her class with a GPA of 4.132. :cool:
That was an ACT average not GPA. I beat his ACT score many moons ago. The point being OP, you need to post with the facts and not just expect us to guess. You can't use the excuse you were bored which is why you committed a felony. No matter what your grades were, this action shows that you are actually rather stupid. The really smart people do NOT commit crimes.

Just Blue

That was an ACT average not GPA. I beat his ACT score many moons ago. The point being OP, you need to post with the facts and not just expect us to guess. You can't use the excuse you were bored which is why you committed a felony. No matter what your grades were, this action shows that you are actually rather stupid. The really smart people do NOT commit crimes.
You're right!! Duh! :eek:

K still beat him tho....:p

IHasCheese

Yep, Id have to agree with all of yall that we are very stupid.

As for the specifics, can yall give me a little more information as to what kind of additional information that you need?

quincy

I reviewed briefly the Mississippi Code, and have some information for you, IHasCheese, but if you can provide us with what exactly has occurred since your original arrest, more specific information can be provided.

You say you went to "juvy" - where it was probably determined there was probable cause to believe you committed the crimes - and you spoke with a "juvy counselor" - where the counselor came to the conclusion that you were bored and had nothing better to do so you committed 6 felony burglaries - and you went before the Juvenile Court judge who ordered a 6-month house arrest. If you could provide us with what the judge actually told you in Juvenile Court, before putting you under house arrest, that would be a big help.

If you were placed on a six-month house arrest by the Juvenile Court judge, after the Juvenile Court counselors reported that you and your friends committed six felony burglaries because "you were bored" and "had nothing better to do", I am going to assume you will be seeing another judge in Juvenile Court in six months to review your behavior while under house arrest. It could be determined at that time whether jurisdiction should be waived to the Circuit Court, where you will be tried as an adult, or whether jurisdiction should remain in Juvenile Court - although to find this out for sure, you should probably call the Juvenile Court and/or the Juvenile Court counselor.

Since you committed six felonies at age 16, the Juvenile Court has the option of trying you as an adult, which is not great for you. Generally in Mississippi, however, there will not be a waiver of jurisdiction unless the crime committed is punishable by life in prison or death (such as when a juvenile commits a murder). Relatively few juveniles are sent to adult court.

What the court looks at in determining whether to waive jurisdiction from Juvenile Court to Circuit Court is the seriousness of the crime committed, the need to protect the community from the person who committed the crime, the aggressiveness or violence or premeditated nature of or willful manner in which the crime was committed, whether the crime was committed against a person or property, whether (if more than one person was involved in the crime) the perpetrators were all juveniles or a mix of adults and juveniles, the juvenile's sophistication and maturity and past criminal history, the juvenile's home situation, and the likelihood that the juvenile can be rehabilitated within the Juvenile Court system within the time the juvenile remains a juvenile (up to age 21).

If no reasonable prospects exist for rehabilitation within the juvenile system, then transfer to adult court will be deemed necessary, and the juvenile will be prosecuted for the felonies there, where one felony burglary can lead to a 7 year imprisonment if convicted.

If you remain in the juvenile court system, the juvenile court will have jurisdiction over you until the age of 21, and you may have to receive rehabilitation in a juvenile facility. If you do all that is told of you, and stay out of trouble, you may be permitted to have your juvenile records expunged, although having felony convictions expunged is difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">