• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing the Names of Minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idontthinkso

Our local television station released the name of my child in a report about their "glowing" investigation. This is after denying me information about the case AFTER my child was arrested and booked because it's an ongoing investigation. So in essence I got more information from the news then I got from the sheriff.

Can they do this? This hardly seems right.

There's a million other questions I have about this case, but for now this is the one I am willing to post.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Our local television station released the name of my child in a report about their "glowing" investigation. This is after denying me information about the case AFTER my child was arrested and booked because it's an ongoing investigation. So in essence I got more information from the news then I got from the sheriff.

There's a million other questions I have about this case, but for now this is the one I am willing to post.
The news is allowed to release the name of juveniles who are being investigated. As for details about the case, the sheriff most likely didn't give the info to the news. That probably came from witnesses and others. So what is your problem?

Silverplum

I don't think you looked at your post before hitting "submit."

Are you trying to say that the tv station denied you info about your child's case?
What is a "glowing" investigation?

quincy

The TV journalists may be doing an investigative piece about, let's say, drug use among the student population in your area. They will obtain information from arrest records (which are public records) and probably from, as Ohiogal said, "witnesses", or students in the area, juvenile detention centers, whatever. They will not "release" any information, except when all of the information is gathered, verified, and ready for broadcast. Then you will see it on the news.

Law enforcement officials, likewise, will not compromise an investigation by releasing information prior to completion of their investigation (although "leaks" may occur, and will sometimes appear on the news as coming from "unnamed sources close to the investigation").

The only information readily available for those interested in learning more about an ongoing investigation is from public records, such as the arrest record. Unless you do your own investigation to discover what is going on, you must wait until both the sheriff and the journalists are ready to present what they have learned.

Journalists are allowed to "publish" the names and ages of anyone listed on an arrest record or anyone involved in a court action, by the way. Legally they are able to do this. Journalists often have to make the decision as to whether to include certain information or withhold it, however. It is a common practice, for instance, for journalists to withhold the names of sexual-assault victims, although legally nothing prevents them from doing so. It is an ethical decision. Likewise, many journalists, but certainly not all, will refrain from naming juvenile suspects until formal charges are brought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">