• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock Indexes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

THKalinke

Hi!

I am interested in writing a book about stock market panics. Would like to use existing stock indexes, e.g., Dow Industrials, S&P 500, NASDAQ Composite to create charts.

Questions: Are stock index numbers, such as we see in the daily newspapers, protected by copyright? If I sell a book containing charts of the above-mentioned stock indexes, am I violating the rights of the companies that calculate the indexes, such as Dow Jones or McGraw-Hill or the NASD?

I would think that this ought to have a cut-and-dried answer. The only creativity that I can see in a stock index value is in the formula used to calculate the index. The numbers themselves are derived from stock prices; no creativity there. Of course, I intend to give titles to the charts, such as "Dow Industrials, 1929-1930".

Any opinions? Many thanks! Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">