• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xfiles67

What is the name of your state? Georgia

In Georgia is there a certain time you have to be married before you can adopt your spouse' child?

What is the general cost of adoption?

Thanks

xfiles67

Adoption

The father has no parental rights and is 100% out of the picture.

We aren't married yet but will be before the end of the year and I was just wondering generally if there is a length of marriage requirement before legal adoption is possible.

Silverplum

The father has no parental rights and is 100% out of the picture.
I sure hope you know what you're talking about. That's barely legally possible. And highly legally improbable.
xfiles67 said:
We aren't married yet but will be before the end of the year and I was just wondering generally if there is a length of marriage requirement before legal adoption is possible.
Usually a minimum of 1 year.

momofrose

He voluntarily gave up his rights, and has actually never met her before.
This does not sound quite right - Typically a court will not allow a father (or mother) to "voluntarily giveup their rights" unless there is someone to adopt them.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Maybe he's just never asserted his rights. But whatever the case, they need to go through the legal system. Lawyers for everyone. After the marriage. ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">