• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other party's attorneys want more time to answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gorillafarmer

What is the name of your state? California

The other party (a major corporation) is being sued by me (without an attorney) for unpaid wages and a waiting time penalty. The amount is $10,000 plus costs and interest. Their attorneys called and said they want a 15 day extension on the time to answer to research the case.

How will this affect my ability to enter a default or whatever else I may need to do?

Ronin

A fifteen day extension request is reasonable and they will probably have it granted whether or not you agree to it.

dcatz

OP – the response that you received is both accurate and sufficient unto itself. For those reasons, I ask Ronin to forgive me for adding to it. It is for your benefit.

In my opinion, no litigation is easy, certain or stress-free (not to mention a slew of other things like quick, enjoyable and inexpensive). Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Warren Burger once said, “For many claims, trials by adversarial contest must in time go the way of the ancient trials by blood and battle . . . for a truly civilized people”.

1) If you deny the 15 days, they may give you a quick response but one that’s garbage. If you give them the 15 days to research, they may decide there is merit and legal support for your claim and recommend to their client to make a settlement offer to you.
2) Whether they do or don’t, professionals respect a professional attitude. Not only will they get by you, if you deny a reasonable extension, it is very possible that the time will come when you’d like a brief extension. Give them what they’re asking without making them fight for it. Tell them to confirm the new response date in writing. Now they “owe you one”.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">