• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal abbreviations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Is there a website that provides a list of legal abbreviations? I'm doing some research and can't figure out what some of the abbreviations are. I've tried using a search engine but I'm having bad luck with it.

lbb87

I actually have a huge list of what appears to be abbreviations. Some of them are: DIV, BK:144 PG:97, PS, ORD, and COMR HRNG. Based on what I'm researching, it appears that DIV means Divorced and ORD means Order. I was just hoping there was some sort of universal list of U.S. legal abbreviations. Perhaps these are ones that are used by my local government? I can't find what they mean anywhere.

garrula lingua

is your case regarding real property ?

Book and page number (bk:144 pg:97) frequently refer to property files.

Cmr Hearing sounds like a 'Commissioner Hearing' (a Commissioner is hired by Judges to perform the duties of a Judge; parties have the right to demand a 'real' Judge [usually a bad idea]).

Div can be divorced, or division (esp re property - meaning plat/portion, etc.).

PS, to me, will always be pre-sentence. However, in Small Claims, I don't know what it stands for.
Ord is order.

How they are used -- in context -- should give a hint to meaning.

lbb87

So is there a website (or book) that lists what those kinds of abbreviations mean? I'm looking at some records that use nothing but abbreviations. It's a real pain in the rear trying to figure them out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">