• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deposition testimony use in another case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pennymit

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am being deposed in a civil matter, I know that during depositions attorneys have a lot of leeway in asking questions, including questions that one might consider irrelevent. If, during the deposition, the attorney were to ask a question of me, such as, for example, have I ever illegally downloaded a certain artist's music (this would not be related to the current case, but the person suing me does know I have illegally downloaded music in the past), and I answer truthfully that I have, can the copyright owner of the music then use this deposition testimony to sue me? Are my answers during the deposition public for anyone to use against me at a later time?

tranquility

Even in federal court (which tends to be less limiting on deposition testimony than state), the Fifth Amendment is a valid privilege. Be sure not answering will not hurt you in the ability to respond to facts they may prove.

pennymit

Unfortunately I don't think the 5th would work since small time copyright infringement is usually not a criminal offense.

tranquility

Hoffman v. United States (1951) 341 U.S. 479
The privilege can be invoked whenever the claimant has a reasonable apprehension that an answer might tend to incriminate him. The privilege forbids compelled disclosures which could serve as a "link in a chain" of evidence tending to establish criminal liablility.

Obviously, the specific facts are very important. Did you get the item on a p2p site and put it in a shared directory? Did you download from a foreign country where it would be under a more specific law regarding the download? How many times are we talking about here? Many others.

Don't answer, use the privilege. If they make a motion to compel, make the decision to fight it (do you have a reasonable apprehension?) or comply, based on your risk/reward calculation of future lawsuit or current attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">