• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal action by creditor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolby200818

What is the name of your state? CT

I reside in Connecticut and dispute a debt whose creditor resides in New York.

None of the following is involved in this case: credit card, written contract, real property securing the debt, a debt collector.

The creditor threatened legal action if I refuse to pay.

Can the CREDITOR bring legal action in his own judicial district (NY) or only in mine (CT) and what is the relevant statute or code section covering this issue?

(I know that if it were a DEBT COLLECTOR instead of the creditor, The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act's paragraph 811 would apply, which stipulates that in the present case legal action against the debtor can only be brought in the latter's judicial district.)

seniorjudge

They will sue you in your own backyard.

They have hundreds of lawyers working for them and several of those lawyers regularly appear in the courts where you live.

dolby200818

I don't want to appear untactful but seniorjudge's answer is both strange and besides the point:

First, my creditor does not have hundreds of lawyers working for him...

Second, there is no guarantee he will sue: such a decision depends on the amount involved (which I did not specify because it is irrelevant to my question) and whether he deems it worth the legal cost and his while...

Third, my question was not where I will be sued but whether or not my creditor CAN sue me in HIS OWN judicial district in the absence of a written contract signed there and what is the statute that governs such a question (I've heard of NY's "long arm statute" but I don't know its number and couldn't find it)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">