• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Out of State Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mortarion

What is the name of your state? New York

I am trying to sue my landlord for not returning my security, but he now lives out of state and was wondering how I go about that? All the info i find about small claims court in NY only talk about sueing someone else in NY. I currently live in NYC and wish the judge to know the NYC rental Laws and don't want to sue in a state that may not know or care about what is or isn't legal in NYC. The place I rented from him and he owns is in NYC.

any advice? I don't feel I should have to travel to NC to sue for money for a NYC law problem.

You Are Guilty

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/housing/index.shtml

Make sure you click and read the "representing yourself" link on the left.

Skapare

What is the name of your state? New York

I am trying to sue my landlord for not returning my security, but he now lives out of state and was wondering how I go about that? All the info i find about small claims court in NY only talk about sueing someone else in NY. I currently live in NYC and wish the judge to know the NYC rental Laws and don't want to sue in a state that may not know or care about what is or isn't legal in NYC. The place I rented from him and he owns is in NYC.

any advice? I don't feel I should have to travel to NC to sue for money for a NYC law problem.
This sounds like a jurisdiction issue.

I'm guessing you can sue in NYC since the entire business was done there. If he still owns rental property in NYC, that makes it even easier because you might even be able to collect on a judgement. Otherwise, once you have a NYC judgement, you'd have to go to NC to collect on it and that's most likely not worth the cost (based on my guess how much might be involved in a residential security deposit).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">