• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Roommate refusing to pay the security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fandango82

What is the name of your state?
Florida

Hello,

My name is Jay, I live in Orlando, FL. I moved out of my previous apartment on Dec4 after the lease expired and my ex roomate refunded $260 on the day I vacated and wrote on a piece of paper that he would refund the rest ($472) in two weeks. Although he lost his job in january he has severance for 4 months. Its been over two months and he has evaded my phone calls and when I met him and asked that I'd appreciate if he writes me a check he tried to call the cops on me. I have decided to sue him. Do I have to file my case through small claims court?
What is the process? and will I be able to get my money including the service fee? Please suggest.
Thanks.

Jay

Hot Topic

Is the piece of paper you have from him dated?

Take him to Small Claims court and sue for the money he owes you, plus the cost of filing the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">