• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fanninkw

What is the name of your state? - Tennessee
I am not sure I even know how to phrase this question. I have an issue where I may have a judgement against me becasue of a really stupid decision I made a while back. I am confused becasue I am hearing many different things and I am not sure what to beleive. I was told about this forum a few weeks ago and they said I would get the right answer here so ..... I was told that judgements against a person could only force them to sell certain items. I was told it depended on the state you were in and that there were exempt and non exempt items. In short, does anyone know where I can look to see what I can be forced to sell. It is a substancial amount of money and I am worried that a judgement against me in TN could mean that they force me to sell my house. I have also been told that I cant be made to sell my primary residence and that even a ruling would simply mean a lein against the house and I just couldn't sell it. I have been told so many different things that I dont know what to think. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

anteater

What is the name of your state? - Tennessee
I am not sure I even know how to phrase this question. I have an issue where I may have a judgement against me becasue of a really stupid decision I made a while back. I am confused becasue I am hearing many different things and I am not sure what to beleive. I was told about this forum a few weeks ago and they said I would get the right answer here so ..... I was told that judgements against a person could only force them to sell certain items. I was told it depended on the state you were in and that there were exempt and non exempt items. In short, does anyone know where I can look to see what I can be forced to sell. It is a substancial amount of money and I am worried that a judgement against me in TN could mean that they force me to sell my house. I have also been told that I cant be made to sell my primary residence and that even a ruling would simply mean a lein against the house and I just couldn't sell it. I have been told so many different things that I dont know what to think. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
You will likely get more responses by re-posting this in the "Debt Collections" section. (Further up the main forum page.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">