• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help to sue landlords.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bill_nye

What is the name of your state? california

I moved to california from illinois 10 days ago. Where I moved was a room for rent. It's under a couple and they have a 1year old in a 2 bedroom apartment, I don't know if it's allowed that they rent a room to me in the first place. So I payed them $800 for the first months rent and deposit. At first they were cool, but now the girl yells at me everytime I say something. Plus the guy there, when he's not at work smokes marajuana about every 40 minutes. I would like to sue them for the total $800 dollars. Mostly the guys drug use and that they may not be allowed to rent the room to me in the first place is what I have to go on. I don't want to use the fact that she yells at me if I don't have to. Do you think I could sue them successfully, they probably wont settle. They don't know that I plan to move out yet. I could probably take some pictures of the bong or pipe with a disposable camera and get the guys signature of my paying the 800$. If I can't sue them then I will probably live there for the next 7 months. Would it look better if I left as soon as possible. What other things could I use to help my case.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
California also has medical marijuana laws. How do you know the LL-Dude hasn't got a Rx for the usage?

bill_nye

Uh, the case would be that I paid them $800 for rent and got something inadequate. I don't think the guy has a medical prescription, cuz he hangs out with people who drink and stuff.

sunnydale29

$800 for a room??? I hope it's a big room.... There should be some kind of a clause if you signed a lease allowing you to break it with certain penalties. You really don't have a cause to sue for damages just because you don't approve of their marijuana use or personalities..that is something you should have asked about. You can only sue for damages if the room becomes unlivable through an act that was not your fault. Typically if you can find another tenant to take over the remainder of your lease, there isn't a problem if you leave. If there isn't a lease then you can just go and they can't hold you to anything. Check with your local authorities to see if it is legal for them to rent you a room...if not, you can walk. Have you asked them yet if you can leave? Maybe if you just suggest to them that this situation isn't working out for you, since it just a room and not a unit they might just let you go. Or you can become a nightmare tenant/roommate and get them to tell you to leave!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">