• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property v Death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cneidle

I purchased a condo in CA about 2 years ago, and got married 1 year later. Since I live in CA does the property fall under the community property law since we married after I purchased the condo?
The real question is if I were to die today would she have ownership of the condo or does the state get it(There is no will at this point). I am a little relunctant to add her to the title because we are planning on purchasing a house within the next year.

ALawyer

The STATE never gets it if you have other heirs at law, such as a spouse, kids, parents, siblings, neices and nephews, etc.

It did not automatically become community property solely because you married, although if you use community funds to run it, under certain circumstances it can transmutate.

But do a Will to make her stop worrying.

A

archarrell

In WA State there is a simple form called a Community Property Agreement. This, I believe, will take care of your problem if you do want it joint.
I believe even in a community property state you can under some circumstances will something to other folks other than your spouse.
Since WA state seems to copy CA laws, you probably have that same form.
Next time you are in a stationary store that sells forms ask about the "Community Property Agreement Form" It may make things simple.
Just a thought I'm not an attorney, so this is not legal advise. Check it out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">