• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud case...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fonzi

What is the name of your state? California

I lived in a condo, and the guy who lived below me informed me that water from my bathroom seeked through his bathroom ceiling causing damages.

I paid him $700.00 to get it fixed. Later, I find out that he pocketed the money. I had moved, and I find out that he's trying to use the same scam on the new tenants.

I believe I have a good case to get my $700.00 back.

I have a few questions:

1. I like to know if I can also sue for punitive damages since he committed fraud.

2. Also, can I sue for attorney fees.

3. About how much does it cause to file a civil case?

4. What can I expect in the process of civil litigation?

5. The guy is a real jerk, is there anything else that I can do?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

This is a small claims court case, but there is no guarantee that you will win it, since you have no documentation to prove any type of written agreement that you paid this amount in settlement of a damage claim. Talk to the new tenants to see if they would be willing to come testify in your case that he did the same thing to them. Did you write this man a check or pay him in cash? It's basically going to be your word against his in court and which side the judge finds more believable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">