• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption and Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Adoption of adults is legal in Indiana.

If an adult gets adopted as an adult, does that mean that, for intestate inheritances, they are no longer considered to be eligible to receive a portion of the estate from their biological family?

What if the deceased has a will, and it states, "to my daughters (or to my 4 daughters)", I leave everything share and share alike? Would it matter if it said "to my daughters, Annie, Billie, Candy, and Diane, share and share alike"? Would Diane get a share, since she would no longer be a daughter, although she is listed by name?

Thanks all!

seniorjudge

Q: If an adult gets adopted as an adult, does that mean that, for intestate inheritances, they are no longer considered to be eligible to receive a portion of the estate from their biological family?

A: My guess is no; you only get one bite at the apple.

Q: What if the deceased has a will, and it states, "to my daughters (or to my 4 daughters)", I leave everything share and share alike? Would it matter if it said "to my daughters, Annie, Billie, Candy, and Diane, share and share alike"? Would Diane get a share, since she would no longer be a daughter, although she is listed by name?

A: This is a little sticky. My guess is Diane is out in the cold. If the will had said, "to Annie, Billie, Candy, and Diane, etc.", then Diane may have a shot at it; the testator could've left it to Diane, me, the paperboy, the old lady down the street who throws rotten apples at kids, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">