• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quoted Price Over Phone Changed After Transport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJparker

I had 2 cars shipped from California to Florida. Im in Florida, the cars were with my father in California. I was quoted over the phone $1300.00 for both cars, and now they are saying its EACH. They say I have to pay $2600.00 tomorrow when they are delivered or if I can only pay for 1 car, they will put the second one in storage and I have to pay storage fees everyday until I can get it out. (I definately can not afford all of this). The paper my father signed in California has no price quote on it, there is no record or proof of what I said on the phone or what she said on the phone and they never sent me a receipt confirmation by email or any kind of proof that they had quoted for EACH car instead of BOTH. What can I do?
Note: I went through this company 4 years ago and it was $900 per car then so to think that they were cutting me a deal at $1300.00 for both cars instead of the usual $1800.00 is what was going through my mind. They are saying now that the rates were raised in the past 4 years.

Last edited:

xylene

I had 2 cars shipped from California to Florida. Im in Florida, the cars were with my father in California. I was quoted over the phone $1300.00 for both cars, and now they are saying its EACH. They say I have to pay $2600.00 tomorrow when they are delivered or if I can only pay for 1 car, they will put the second one in storage and I have to pay storage fees everyday until I can get it out. (I definately can not afford all of this). The paper my father signed in California has no price quote on it, there is no record or proof of what I said on the phone or what she said on the phone and they never sent me a receipt confirmation by email or any kind of proof that they had quoted for EACH car instead of BOTH. What can I do?
Ouch.

You are in a pickle without a written contract.

Yes they can charge storage.

I will also say that 1300 dollars is the price I would expect for shipment for one car.

1300 dollars for 2 cars cross county is unbelievably cheap.

You needed to get the proof. The burden was on you. Not them to provide it. You should have paid nothing nor accepted services until you had proof of the price.

Get a small loan.

It will cost less than dealing with the storage fees.

BL

Note: I went through this company 4 years ago and it was $900 per car then so to think that they were cutting me a deal at $1300.00 for both cars instead of the usual $1800.00 is what was going through my mind. They are saying now that the rates were raised in the past 4 years.
What paper ?

CJparker

Hello,
Yes its just a shipping document that my father signed. That was the only paperwork involved in this transaction and I assumed that it would have had the price on it and that his signature was agreeing to that price but apparantly it was just a paper he signed consenting that they can take the cars off his hands.

xylene

Post the amount due.

Gather proof of the price.

Sue for the overpayment.

Car shippers can be real schiesters.

If you don't pay... you will have oodles of storage charges that you will not be able to recover.

CraigFL

This is certainly a bad situation. I'll bet you get something in writing next time. But for now... The only way you're going to win this one is to prove that customary charges for that place transporting two cars that distance are about $1300 total otherwise you will have zero chance because even if they accidentally said or implied that the total cost would be $1300 noone will ever believe it. It would be interesting to know the cost of one car and then two at one pickup going to the same destination. In the meantime, you will need to find a way to pay the bill for now. You may have to sell one of the cars to pay off the transportation loan...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">