• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slliemab

What is the name of your state? MI

My mom asked me to post this as she just lost her mom and on top of the grief of the loss now she's worried about debts.

My grandma passed away on Valentine's day and in her will everything is to be divided equally between my mom and aunt. She just obtained her mortgage 4 years ago and I believe there was some sort of insurance saying if something were to happen to her the house would be paid off. We are still working on getting that info. The question we really have is she had some minor credit card debt. She was really good about making her payments but after Christmas she had some debt that needed to be caught up.

The economy is terrible and most of the family is pretty broke right now. Neither my mom nor my aunt can afford to pay off her debts. I am no help, I can barely make ends meet myself. What do they do? Are they forced to come up with money to pay her debts or can they get out of it by providing proof of her death?:confused:

They are pretty lost as what to do next. They plan to get her will on Tuesday. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Dandy Don

You do not need to be worrying about using your personal funds to pay outstanding debt. First see what the will says and see if she has enough assets in the estate for the executor to be able to pay off some or all of the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">