• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hope this is the right place.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluesy

What is the name of your state? ` Michigan

Here goes...
My mother-in-law passed away. She had a son and a daughter (my wife). The son is living in her house. We're (the wife/daughter and I) are paying the mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc.-- the son is a student (college, 20 years old) We need to know what to do regarding this situation- what are the proper steps? The mother/deceased has a sister that tells us she's the "executor" of the estate. What are her responsibilities? She simply tells us what and how much payments are and when they are due. We can not afford this. Who does the house now belong to? Who is responsible for the mortgage payments/property taxes? Where is the first place to start to get questions answered? What needs to be answered first? Sorry about the lack of knowledge regarding all of this- sometimes things happen rather unexpectedly. Thank you

JETX

My mother-in-law passed away.
Did she have a will??

She had a son and a daughter (my wife). The son is living in her house. We're (the wife/daughter and I) are paying the mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc.
Why are you paying those costs?? You have NO legal obligation to do so, nor do you have any right to make a demand on the estate to recover your payments.

the son is a student (college, 20 years old)
Not relevant. He is an adult and responsible for his own expenses, including housing.

We need to know what to do regarding this situation- what are the proper steps?
What situation??
What steps do you want to take??

The mother/deceased has a sister that tells us she's the "executor" of the estate.
Under what authority. To be the executor (personal representative) of the estate, she must have been appointed/approved by a probate court.

What are her responsibilities?
Unless an 'official' executor, she has NO 'responsibility' or authority to do anything.

She simply tells us what and how much payments are and when they are due. We can not afford this.
Run, do not walk, to a GOOD local probate attorney in the county where the property is located.

Who does the house now belong to? Who is responsible for the mortgage payments/property taxes?
The house belongs to, and the payments are the obligation of, her estate.

Where is the first place to start to get questions answered? What needs to be answered first? Sorry about the lack of knowledge regarding all of this- sometimes things happen rather unexpectedly.
As stated above, get a good probate attorney. You are being taken advantage of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">