• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - probate required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

llabar

My uncle just died in CA with a will naming me executor - it looks like there will be more creditors than assets - he didn't have anything of value - selling his old vehicle ('76) may pay for arrangements for cremation, but he owes about $1000 with only a couple of hundred dollars in a bank account. He was living in a government subsidized residence hotel with very little in personal items. Is there any requirement to file in probate court? Can I just sell his car and pay off his debts or do I have to file something to be able to sell the car? The fees alone to file the probate forms are more than he has in the bank. If there are more debts than assets, do my brother, 2 sisters and I have to pay them (we're his last living relatives)? Looking for any advice
Thanks

ALawyer

No, yo are not responsible for his debts unless you signed for them.

There is a very simle procedure for low value estates. Go to the probate department of Superior Court and ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">